Sunday, March 8, 2009

Endless Winter

The last snow storm really brought out the dread of endless winter in people.  I have to say that I was one of those people.  I started think that it's always going to be like this and all those summery days would never return.   It seems like a lifetime ago that I could walk around in shorts and sandel's without concern that I had enough clothes on.  Not having to worry about losing my hat or gloves.  There really is so much to keep track of in the winter.  It was becoming a lot of work.  Just going outside was always a big production.   You had to have good reason to go outside.

 We have a had winter conditions since late November and that was a long time ago.  I wondered how I had been doing this for so many years.  How had I been making it through all these winters?  It dawned on me that I hadn't been getting outside as consistently as before.  I have come to believe that the best way to not get the winter blues, was to get outside more.  10 years ago I had a job where I was outside in all year long.  There were some tough moments, but I noticed that I didn't have that overwelming sense of dread that comes just before Spring.  It was nice to see Spring when it came, but I could enjoy whatever weather we had, as long as I spent time outside, everyday.  And before I knew it, those warm, sunny days returned.

Picture courtesy Meligrosa

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think spring is pretty much here! A cold, Chicago spring, but I'll take what I can get. This winter has been so much better than my first winter in Chicago. The first winter I hibernated, now I'm outside for a couple hours a day - huge difference! -Dottie

my hyggelig said...

I saw my skin for the first time in months when I did my bike fitting ~ I didn't know what it was!☺ Spring is he...oh wait...it's going to be 15 tomorrow! Thanks for staying positive for me.

spiderleggreen said...

Minnesota winters almost always linger, but I can always hope for a quick arrival of spring.

MELI. said...

‹thanks♥! makes me happy you love that picture›
A big cozy hug for you all!

spiderleggreen said...

It is a great picture. I need to remember that some time soon it will be just like that here. Today is 5F.

Thanks for letting me use it.